Wednesday, August 27, 2014

And another question

This one has nothing to do with pop culture.

In commemoration of college football beginning its season (starting the fastest 12 weeks for sports fans) I went back to some months ago in which Northwestern University players were under the media spotlight regarding their right to unionize.  A news article around that time referred to the Wildcats as one of 17 private schools playing FBS (aka Division I) football.

The light bulb flared above my head.  Could I name all 17?

No.

Which ones could I rattle off?

I started locally, meaning the Big 12 Conference.  That's easy.  Baylor (1) and TCU (2).  Then I took the gimmee, Northwestern (3).  Heading out west I knew there were two in the PAC 12: USC (4) and Stanford (5).  SEC?  I know they have only one, Vanderbilt (6).  Then there's Notre Dame (7).  Lessee, what about some other ones with which I am familiar?  Back to my heritage state of Texas for SMU (8) and Rice (9).  How about another independent, BYU (10)?

After that it got more difficult for ol' Geoguy.

I cheated (a little) and looked up team listings for other conferences.  OK, the ACC has Duke (11), which I admit I should have known.  But that conference ain't done yet.  Besides the Blue Devils the other private institutions are Syracuse (12), Wake Forest (13), Miami (14) and Boston College (15). 

Can you guess the other two?

Neither could I.  I cheated even more to get Tulane (16) and Tulsa (17). 

If you're anything like me you probably had a few surprises along the way.

Time for pigskin!!

No comments: