Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Now For The Second One

(Dear readers:  I intended to have this entry ready last night as I wish to post an item every day this week.  However Geoana took a tumble in the shower and wound up at the E.R.  I stayed at home but obviously couldn't concentrate on writing at that time.  The good news is nothing is broken, she just has scrapes and contusions.  Ibuprofen does her a lot of good.)

____________________________________________________

Since we had a few days to prepare and since we knew what we were facing I had hopes this next trip would hold fewer surprises.  Or none at all.

I ripped several movies off of DVD and imported them into my iPod Touch.  (It's actually my old iPhone 4 but since I've upgraded the device I decided to make good use of the 32 gigs therein.)  I also got a book from the library (a C.J. Box standalone novel I have not yet read) and filled the backpack with it and several magazines.

We also brought paper plates and plastic cutlery in anticipation of not eating every meal at a restaurant.  The hotel in which we would stay does not have kitchenettes but does include a small refrigerator in each room.

So on Sunday morning, the 27th of July we again start out for the land of 10,000 lakes.  (During the previous trip a local told me that there are more than ten thousand lakes in Minnesota, he said they just got tired of naming them once they hit the ten-grand threshold.)  We got on the road at an early hour, stopped at Big City Burrito in Kearney for the best breakfast burrito I have had since moving from Arizona (gotta love chorizo!) and generally had a leisurely drive into the state of tall corn.  Took a brief side trip into Ames to see the Iowa State University campus.  Mighty pretty.  Much more green and reminiscent of Austin, Texas than I would have expected.

Useless Geoguy-specific trivia:  I now have been in every Big 12 school town/city save one (Morgantown, West Virginia).

Monday morning, and medical procedure takes place.  No complications, no issues.  Again, given that we've been to this area already there's a lot less desire to walk walk walk and say, "Let's see this."

Tuesday is a day of rest.  Gals go clothes shopping and I walk to a nearby gun shop.  Don't find much save for a used Bushnell scope that ought to work well for deer hunting.  I pick it up for $30.  Then I find ammunition for a very decent price at Mills Fleet Farm.

Wednesday we again rise early and make the trek back to the Land of Dorothy.  Drove straight through this time.  Took in a late lunch at Cabela's in Omaha.  It also is there that I finally pull the trigger (pun intended) and purchase a deer rifle.  I will have more on that in another entry.

So now we get to be homebodies for a while.  Just in time to ring in the month of August.

I can't help teasing Geogal and telling her that it's just for scenarios like this that I should take flying lessons.  She doesn't see the humor.

Sure would make the journey a lot faster...

No comments: