Monday, July 21, 2008

The Great State Race


We in the Geofamily like to travel.

Together with the traveling, Geogal and I have a friendly competition stretching back several years. "Who has been in more states?"

I'll get to the scorecard in a moment. First, 2008 is shaping up to be a banner year for interstate travel--for all of us.

Since January 1st, yours truly has set foot in Arizona (state of origin for the year), California (courtesy of a quick jaunt across the Colorado River to Blythe), New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska. Those last several were due to the big move from Chandler to northwest Kansas. For Geogal and little Geoana, the total is nearly the same, save for Geogal having traveled to Austin, Texas for a professional event. Since she took little Geoana with her, our child now has the distinction of being the family member in this household of being in the most states this year. She and I went into California back in March, and she was part of the aforementioned Texas trip. Not bad for a seven-year-old.

Add Utah to the state count. We went just through the southeastern corner, a total of less than 100 miles in the Land Of The Mormons, but state lines are state lines.

Since this is late July much of 2008 remains. Methinks I can predict we will total more states before the calendar becomes 2009. Missouri, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Wyoming, and Iowa are easily within reach. Who knows what the remainder of the year holds, travel-wise?

OK, totals for the grownups. First, the ones where both of us lay claim: Arizona, New Mexico, California, Texas, Nevada, Oregon, Colorado, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia, District of Columbia (yes, I know it's not a state, but this is my blog--get your own, you nerds!), Alaska, and Hawaii.

The lady goes next. Geogal's personal notches include: Illinois, Georgia, South Carolina, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Maine. Total of 20. (Why all the New England states? She had a summer job in New Hampshire one of her college summers.) And no, I wasn't being careless, Geogal just told me she never did make it to Rhode Island.

And me? Since my family lived on the eastern seaboard at one time I can count: Pennsylvania, Delaware, North Carolina, New York, New Jersey, and West Virginia. Courtesy of traveling to visit relatives and moving across the country I also set foot in: Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. Those last few I really don't remember (I was little and rather out-of-it). So for me--26.

Throw down! We're not done yet.

No comments: