Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fun times ahead


Fun for me, maybe not for anyone else.

Since I won't get any type of summer vacation this year, my enjoyment has to come from elsewhere.

If you read the profile for yours truly you know that I live in Northwest Kansas. It's a land of nice people, wide open spaces, lots of wind, and wheatfields alternating with cornfields.

And right here is a challenge perfectly suited for a nerd such as me. Although we subscribe to DirecTV and will continue to do so, I want to see which distant terrestrial TV stations I can pull in using a rooftop antenna.

And I want a good antenna, too. Not one of these cheapies that you find at Home Depot or Wal-Mart. Suffice to say I am learning much courtesy of the Internet. Brand names like Terk and Winegard are now part of my vernacular. Choosing between analog and digital rotators is making me salivate. As soon as we formally procure this house we've chosen I'll be taking inventory of the outside, trying to determine which location would be best for antenna placement.

(Who am I kidding? I've already done that and we don't even own the place yet. Don't worry--it's empty and some of the neighbors already know I am the buyer.)

So between getting the equipment and putting it all together I should be in for a fun rest-of-the-summer. I can't wait to see what's out there on the airwaves. And since the analog broadcasts will end come February now is as good a time as ever.

And digital? Before I came out here I bought a small TV with a built-in digital tuner. Wonder if I can pick up the multiplexed signal of the nearby Nebraska Educational TV station? Or how well the VHF (channel 12) digital broadcast from KSNK will look?

Beyond those two stations, it's anyone's guess. And I'm hoping to find out.

That leads into the next question: Why am I doing this now? I've been a homeowner for 12 years. But you have to understand that in Arizona, there's not much challenge in trying to pull in nearby stations. There just aren't a whole lot. Outside of the Phoenix and Tucson markets there exists only a plethora of low-powered translators and a quagmire of equally low-wattage UHF channels that exist only for the purpose of home shopping and selling ringtones.

It's a different game out here. This area is technically in the Wichita market, although the suits in south-central Kansas couldn't care less about what happens out here. We also are on the edge of the Kearney-Grand Island-Hastings market (I made that up as said market does not exist. Ask the FCC, 'cause I sure don't understand their reasoning.) So, there are full-power VHF and a few UHF channels for the taking, and seeing the purple colored region on the coverage map available through TV Fool just makes the challenge even more interesting. And fun for me.

I promise I won't fall off the ladder. Cross my heart.

1 comment:

Anj said...

Two words. Dish Network.