Sunday, July 20, 2008

Enjoying the quiet hour

In the Geohouse that time is early morning.

I'm the only morning person in this domicile. Geogal and little Geoana would probably sleep until noon if they could. So since it is summer vacation and Geogal no longer works, they enjoy being in the arms of Morpheus pert near every morning since they arrived in Kansas.

My temperment is of the phlegmatic type, which means I cherish peace above nearly all else. Very true. Now if I could just find a way to keep the peace throughout the course of a day.

That's impossible. I know it. But it doesn't mean I can't keep trying to decrease my stress level and reach for a more healthy (mentally and physically) way to live. Now that I think about it, I've already started.

How? I am giving myself something of a media holiday. Definition? Stay away from news. Eschew the political talk shows and blogs for the time being. (And right now makes a fair amount of sense. We are currently in what people in the news biz would call a "slow news cycle." Very common for the summer months.) I could keep up with all current events, read commentary, listen to talk radio, the list goes on.

But why? All of the above only increases my stress level and I am still in the process of learning to decrease my worrying. And isn't it to my benefit to think for myself? To know where my true priorities lie? To engage in recreational reading (i.e. fiction)? To peruse blogs that are similar in in nature to this one?

So for the next several weeks, no news. No newspapers beyond reading our local twice-weekly publication. I'm even eliminating sports talk from my listening habit. As much as I enjoy Sirius Satellite Radio and their NFL channel, I get tired of All-Brett-Favre-All-The-Time.

Will I miss out on certain news items? Yes. Will it have a negative effect on me to not be aware of those things? No.

How about if I just pay attention to my own tasks and keep my own household in order?

What a philosophy! Mind my own business.

No comments: