Sunday, July 13, 2008

General update

Since this blog is largely read by family, I have no qualms about sharing our latest goings-on for this post.

We finally have secured permanent housing. That is no small feat considering both Geogal and I are still acclimating to how business is done in a small town. Even finding a place to rent is challenging, and when you don't know most of the locals you can easily miss out on property opportunities.

Combine that with the fact that there are no real "comps" to be pulled from the various neighborhoods and real estate quickly becomes more of a game of chance than anything else. I know I can't be as anonymous online as I was in Arizona (more on that in a future post), but some folks in these parts want way too much for their properties. And unlike the urban areas, said individuals are willing to wait until someone gives them their asking price.

Having said all that, I actually enjoyed the process somewhat. Over the past few months I've gotten to know people I would not otherwise have met. And the learning that went along with this entire home-buying experience was valuable.

Not to mention the fact that this is the most inexpensive house Geogal and I have ever purchased. Despite the price, we think the house is sound and has great potential. We're happy and our friends are relieved.

The physical moving is still ahead but we'll handle that as it comes. (And after all, it's only a few blocks from where we live now. Plus most of our stuff is still in boxes.)

Now, is it time to make my family and friends insanely jealous? Dare I mention that yesterday morning as I prepared to mow the lawn, it was about 65 degrees with nice cloud cover and a cool breeze? And low humidity? Me likeeeee!

Never mind posting comments here. I can already hear the responses of the Arizona and Texas kinfolk: "Just wait until winter!"

No comments: