Saturday, June 07, 2008

Saturday musings and a restaurant review

I decided to go to McCook, Nebraska today, as I needed to do a little shopping (both food and non-food items) and McCook is the largest retail center in the area. Plus, I didn't feel like driving for most of the day today. Kearney (also in Nebraska) is usually the shopping city of choice, and visited Hays, Kansas a week ago today. (Hays sure did remind me a lot of Seguin, Texas, my mother's hometown. Just why I did I do not know. Maybe some other family members will visit there and let me know if I'm correct or way off base.) But for today McCook will do. Also, I wanted to lunch at a specific eating establishment in that town, Taste of Texas BBQ.

Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows my affinity for slow smoked meat. I noticed Taste of Texas on a previous visit to McCook and a name like that just invites me in. I remember thinking: "Taste of Texas? Hah! I'll be the judge of that."

Today was judging day. Let me say TOT passed with flying colors. I ordered the two-meat BBQ plate. I chose beef and pork, with sides of cole slaw and fried okra. The meat is served largely dry, just a small dollop of sauce over the topmost meat portions. Which is OK with me, I prefer dry BBQ, as it's too easy to disguise poor quality cooking by drenching it in strong-flavored sauce. The pork was outstanding, with a wonderful smoky flavor and it obviously was rubbed with the right combination of spices. The beef, however, left something to be desired. First, it didn't taste smoky and second, it took a knife to cut. Call me a purist or call me a jerk with a blog, but I think BBQ beef should fall apart. Don't take this to mean the beef was of poor quality (it wasn't) or that I would tell you to avoid it should you visit. I've had better BBQ beef, but what I ate today would certainly satisfy a BBQ craving.

For the sides, the fried okra was served hot (out of the fryer hot) coated with a flavorful batter. If they use this same mixture for their chicken-fried steak, well then I just might have to forgo BBQ altogether on a return visit. The slaw also had merit--it was vinegar-based, tangy but not overpowering. Actually had a somewhat sweet flavor.

I'll be going back.

Truth be told, visiting BBQ joints has become something of a Saturday tradition for me. It started with a trip to Salina, Kansas, about two months ago. I did lunch at the Hickory Hut, which I would recommend. Seven days ago I went to Bar-Q-Cutie in Hays. I saw their ad in the local phone book. I didn't realize it was a chain till I got there. It was good, but something about the place just seemed artificial. Almost as if they are the McDonalds of BBQ in their part of the country.

Driving places, eating BBQ. Rough job, but someone has to do it.

Speaking of BBQ places, I talked to the moving van driver a couple of days ago. He lives in Overland Park, Kansas (which is part of the Kansas City metro area). I mentioned how I heard KC has a BBQ place on every corner. The driver said yes, and he hadn't been to one that was bad yet.

I've got to visit that city! Perhaps it's a good thing I don't live there. I'd balloon up like Diamond Jim Brady.
_______________

Other things. I did watch the Belmont Stakes this afternoon (or evening, to be more accurate). My mind's ear coined a new term. I'll share it here:

"Big Brown pulled a New England Patriots."

Heavily favored, dominating all the others leading up to the Big One, but can't close the deal at the end.
_______________

Do you think Hillary Clinton is the angriest person on the planet right now?

_______________

Back to my activities of the day. I drove the usual way to McCook (U.S. 36 to Oberlin, then head north on U.S. 83). On the way back, however, I chose a different route. I took highways 6 and 34 (one road, dually signed) to Arapahoe, then south to Norton. Why? Because the drive between Norton and Oberlin is about the most dull, straight, and boredom-inducing stretch of road in the area. My return route was much more interesting, following the Republican River valley, tree-studded with plenty of variety in the topography.

Not only that, but I had the leftover BBQ in a container on the passenger floor. Gave a nice aroma to accompany the trip home.

No comments: