Saturday, June 07, 2008

The rest of the story

I didn't expect the mover to arrive that early. But, hey. It's better than sitting around the house wondering where they are and when will they get here.

Overall, the unloading wasn't too tough. The mover and a couple of local helpers did the bulk of the work (and I was guilt free, as Geogal and I were paying nicely for this service). Yet later that day, as I was back in the office, I felt unusually fatigued. Almost as if I had done the physical labor myself. I had forgotten how emotionally and mentally draining a move is, even the positive part of the move.

However there is still the therapeutic effect of having one's belongings in a new place. Still doesn't feel quite like home yet. And it may not ever feel that way. This is a rental. Once Geogal gets here, then we will start seriously considering what and where we will purchase. Then, the feeling of home should take over.

But don't take the above paragraphs as a sign that I am down, or in a melancholy mood. I enjoy the freedom of truly running my own household again. Yesterday morning I boiled water in a teakettle on the gas range, rather than stick a container of water into a microwave (gotta have the hot water for oatmeal, don't you know!). And just a few minutes ago I cooked up some scrambled eggs. Delicious!

And just wait until I get a propane cylinder for the 3-burner Char-Broil beauty that now sits outside the back door. I have missed grilling so much you just wouldn't believe it.

So this weekend will involve a lot of unpacking and organizing. Pain before pleasure!

No comments: