Thursday, January 11, 2007

New (used) wheels



What was occupying my time and energy over the last couple of days?

A vehicle change. Geogal and I spent the last several months looking to replace our aging Oldsmobile with a newer, more reliable vehicle. Plus, following a picnic jaunt to Roosevelt Lake in the late summer of 2005, I was desiring a vehicle that I could take off the road.

Finally found the truck that meets our needs (and our price range). A 2004 Toyota Tacoma crew cab, with four-wheel-drive.

No, the world did not stop turning. (However, I am no longer watching new episodes of The Simpsons, as the show’s quality has deteriorated significantly over the last several seasons. That subject will be reserved for a future blog entry.) Why am I referring to buying a Toyota as something that people thought would never occur?

A little backstory: In 1985, I was REALLY wanting a pickup. But, I wanted it to be an American pickup. A full-size truck. At the time, I was really enamored with the Ford trucks. (I still think the Fords from 1980 to 1986 were great-looking. Shame they don’t make ‘em anymore.) Yet it seemed that everyone who knew I was looking would ask the same question: “Are you going to get one of those little Japanese jobs?”

I bristled at the question. I was a patriotic American. I still am.

Take the following into account: These Toyota Tacomas are built in Fremont, California, and now, San Antonio, Texas. I bought this truck used, meaning none of my money went to Japan. I wanted a reliable vehicle, and Toyota Tacomas have a tremendous reputation for being reliable and long-lasting. I remain a proud American and will continue to own numerous American-made products. Yet, GM, Ford, and Chrysler trucks just don’t seem to hold up as well as the years go by. I have owned vehicles from all three of the Big Three. Now I am ready to try something new.

Plus, you cannot deny this is one cool-looking truck!

No comments: