Saturday, January 06, 2007

Ennui



Maybe I am more susceptible to seasonal affective disorder (SAD) than I realize. So it must be a type of blessing that I live in the Arizona desert. Despite my recurring desire for occasional changes in weather conditions, I noticed over the past two weeks that my dysphoria seemed tied to cloudy, rainy conditions.

But sometimes the weather can produce beauty, even in the setting of suburbia. Hence the picture for today. Sunshine through the gray.

I need to learn from this observation. I don’t know if my sour mood stems from stress over Geogal’s medical condition, the rise and fall of the holidays, my ongoing existential crisis, the humdrum routine of the Geofamily life, but there must be a solution somewhere. Perhaps I need to shake up the normal pattern of my (and our) life, but not disrupt it too much. After all, some segments of our life are very healthy and supportive. Gotta make sure the cure isn’t worse than the illness.

Maybe I need to work this into a New Year’s goal. (See entry from earlier this week.)

No comments: