Sunday, August 24, 2008

Warning: Esoteric babbling ahead

You're choosing to read anyway?

I'm following an earlier post. One that dealt with the chore of pulling in over-the-air TV. But for me it's not a chore, rather it is a delight.

This afternoon found me at the Macbook keyboard, learning which outdoor antenna might suit me best. Then I circumnavigated the house to determine the best placement. Just for fun I attached some rabbit ears to the bedroom TV. Nothing but snow.

I am becoming familiar with names such as Winegard, Terk, and Channel Master. Along with all of this is the realization that there are many Net forums out there and just as many differing opinions about which product does "x" job the best.

Again you may ask "why?"

Not only do I like the challenge, but local TV reception is important during harsh weather (something we have plenty of in these parts). Since we have DirecTV, I don't need to be connected to the local cable company, even though most of their channels from 2-13 are devoted to area channels (in fact, each of the Big Three networks plus PBS has dual representation).

However I don't care for the remainder of the fare offered on the local CATV service. And since I have all of those channels plus several dozen more, why bother paying another bill? (Geodad must be so proud.)

_________________________________

In most populated areas, the digital TV channels are almost always on the UHF band. This means most folks who want the free over-the-air DTV just need either rabbit ears or a relatively small UHF-only roof (or attic) antenna.

Not me. Not here.

First there is the issue of distance. The TV offerings come from over 70 miles away as the crow flies, save for two--KSNK and KLNE. Add into this the digital TV fact of life that you either get it all or you don't get any (no snowy picture, you see) and antenna size plus originating signal strength become big issues.

So big, in fact, that I'm willing to spend extra for a rugged outdoor antenna. A large one. Add in other accessories such as an antenna rotor and a preamp, and this becomes an interesting do-it-yourself project. Fortunately it's not brain surgery so if I don't get it right the first time I can tweak and adjust as necessary.

_________________________________

Part of the homework involves looking at the coverage maps on TV Fool and seeing what is possible for my location. Then I check out other sources to determine what the final channel assignments will be following the full-power analog shutoff this coming February.

Some interesting finds. First I read that most of the UHF digital signals will eventually be one million watts. Good! Might reach me just fine. Then I start to see the final channel assignments for my area. KHGI (one of the best for local severe weather coverage) will be on channel 36. KLNE will go to 26. Yes!

But KSNK, KGIN, and KBSH will ultimately stay on VHF (12, 11, and 7, respectively). Whaaat??

Then it dawns on me. Maybe the FCC wanted to keep these channels VHF because the signal still travels farther than a UHF frequency would. Considering many of the viewers of these stations are quite a distance from the transmitter site, this could make sense.

It's interesting to think about what I might pick up with a decent antenna on top of the Geohouse. It'll be more intriguing to learn what actually happens once everything is set up.

Of course I'll keep you informed.

No comments: