Thursday, August 07, 2008

Tripe that I owe the readers

Really, it's not my fault. Our Internet connection at the new Geohouse was knocked off for a few days. I think it's one of those Sir Isaac Newton laws: for every technological advance there is an equal and opposite step backward.

Just temporarily, of course. The 'Net connection is back up and running today and life is again pretty good. We had the DirecTV guy come and install the dish properly (I couldn't get it aimed right) but in the process he cut the coaxial line bringing The World to our cable modem. I tried splicing it to another live line in the house, but to no avail. (You would not believe how much RG-6 cable is in, over, around, and through this hacienda. One might swear the prior owner owned stock in Dish Network.) Another visit by a different communications professional corrected the problem.

Other than that, not much to report. We went to Grand Island, NE last Saturday for the Geofamily to load up on Sam's Club and a Real Grocery Store Not These Little Small-Town Establishments That Think Lamb and Fresh Fish Are Exotic Items. (Geogal's standpoint, not necessarily mine.) I have to get my mind around the fact that every time we leave town and hit a big-box retailer (even though the big boxes here aren't quite as large square-footage as we are used to) we will walk out with the bill totaling in the three figures. Gone are the days when I could drive 5 minutes to Lowe's and walk out 10 minutes later with two small items.

But come to think of it, that's not a bad thing. Just another part of the adjustment.

And to the Geofamily, I will post some pics of the house on our Kodak Gallery account in the coming days. Geodad, I need you to e-mail me as I cannot get through on the address I have.

More fun ahead...

No comments: