Sunday, August 31, 2008

Taking advantage of the long weekend

Since I won't be able to use any vacation time (yet) at my job, the Geofamily decided to hit the road this long weekend and check out a new destination.

Kansas City.

Besides adding another state to the 2008 tally this sojourn also gives us a chance to see another part of Kansas and visit a truly interesting urban area. (But as an aside, I'll be glad to return to my small-town home. I'm just not into the city stuff anymore.)

I can't say I took much surprise in the landscape. I already knew KC was somewhat hilly, despite a lot of Americans thinking this place is flat as a pancake. (Must be that MGM-set-designed-to-look-like-putative-Kansas-I'm-talking-about-"The-Wizard-Of-Oz" that fosters that myth.) Numerous big green trees gives plenty of aesthetic appeal as well.

And then there is the food

I've blogged several times before about BBQ so I don't need to explain myself.

And guess what this place has in abundance?

You will enjoy this: We arrived in the city yesterday midday and decided to do lunch at Arthur Bryant's. This one was not the downtown location but rather the one near the Kansas Speedway. It's an area populated by the latest in suburban power retailers and chain restaurants. That last point is important in this retelling. We knew the Arthur Bryant's was in the area (gotta love the Net) and were trying to pick out its location from among the numerous red-bricked eateries. A couple of minutes before spotting our target, Geogal (sarcastically) said: "Look! There's a Famous Dave's."

And my response? "I didn't drive all the way to barbecue capital, USA, to eat at a Famous Dave's."

(In all fairness, Famous Dave's is OK. But they're a national chain. It's like going to the most Italian-American area of New York City and then dining at an Olive Garden.)

The verdict on Bryant's? Deee-lish! The pulled pork beats all. We can thank the Travel Channel for cluing us in to that place.

And lunch today? Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue. As Bryant's was dry barbecue, Jack Stack is wet. And both have their merits.

And no, I don't have my cardiologist on speed dial. In fact, I don't even have a cardiologist. Supper for both evenings was salad, heavy on the green stuff. Plus I exercised this morning and plan to do so tomorrow as well.

One thing we are not able to do this trip: see a Royals game. They are in Detroit at the present time. So, Geosister the elder we will not e-mail you a picture of Geogal eating a pretzel while sitting in Kauffman Stadium.

Maybe next time.

No comments: