Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Microfilm, magazines, and mucho calories

Today was one of those odd days where I had no work commitments. The Geohouse is also quiet, as Geogal and little Geoana are both in the Lone Star State while I hold down the fort.

So I decided to visit a place I have known of for years, but have never visited. The Burton Barr Central Library in Phoenix. I admit it, I’m a nerd and the opportunity to look up some old newspaper and magazine articles proved too tempting.

I started with trying to look up a story from 1982. I was unsuccessful in finding it--if it was in the paper at all--I saw the item in one of the Wallace’s Book Of Lists (see I told you I was a nerd). While looking for the story in question, I noticed the ads. Lots of them, just as there are a lot in newspapers now.

What struck me is that just about all of the businesses are gone now. Some simply went out of business, others were taken over. This also was before Wal-Mart arrived in Arizona (that would not happen for another two to three years).

Then there are the gut-busters. Such as seeing how much electronic items cost in ’82. (Want to buy a stereo system with an 8-track player?) Or the ads for cars back in those days. Electronic items were so expensive, vehicles were so cheap.

I’m not nostalgic for those days, by the way. It wasn’t a good time of my life.

Anyhow, back to the ads. I did see some for Mecham Pontiac. One of the “Holy Grails” for my living in Arizona was to see a car with a decal or plate frame touting the fact it came from the dealership owned by a man who became governor, was impeached and removed from office, and passed away a few days ago.

However I (to this day) have never seen a “Mecham” Pontiac. Probably never will. Those cars don’t age well and I have no idea how long that dealership has been defunct.

___________________

After my library visit, I went to the TexAz Grill for a chicken-fried-steak lunch (in honor of the rest of my family being in you-know-where).

I wasn’t hungry again until late into this evening. That includes an afternoon where I exercised and did some yard work. Let’s hear it for good Texas food!

Return quickly, my two favorite gals!

1 comment:

Anj said...

Enjoy it while you can! GeoSisInLaw and I were poking around on the website of a certain metropolis in Kansas, where they proudly proclaim that their library has both fiction AND nonfiction books now.