Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Real life

...hit me square in the face yesterday morning. Put the key in the ignition, turn it, nothing happens.

You probably know the routine. Call the auto club, have it jump-started. Car starts but the problem persists as soon as the engine is turned off. Is it the charging system or the electrical system? And the more pressing question: How much is this repair job going to set me back?

So...I get to have AAA tow the thing to the repair shop today.

Oh, well. I guess if a vehicle is going to fail, there is no better place for it to quit than inside one's own garage. Suppose I should count my blessings. After all, it's only money.

There also is an amusing side story to all this. When little Geoana (age 4) found out that the car wouldn't start she offered the solution that I should buy a new truck. I think it's definitely time to begin teaching her about money and what things cost.

And no, I did not implant the new truck suggestion in her mind.

**********************************************
Darren Urban's piece in today's Tribune addresses the Arizona Cardinals choosing Larry Fitzgerald in the 2004 draft, passing over Ben Roethlisberger. The article is fair to Fitzgerald, acknowledging his Pro Bowl selection this season. Yet I believe that had the Birds picked Big Ben, the team would be no better today. After all, Roethlisberger has very good protection from his offensive line and the Steelers have a better-than-average running game. These are two things the Cardinals have lacked for at least two seasons. It's hard for any quarterback to throw touchdown passes when he is constantly hitting the turf only two or three seconds after the ball is snapped.

No comments: