Friday, November 04, 2005

Some downtime

Due to a recent out-of-town journey, with two more coming up this month, this blog will be sparse during November. Just as good anyway, as I have little to say right now.

Caught this while checking my Yahoo e-mail. The 20-year time capsule is a nice idea but I harbor strong doubts that I will have the same e-mail address in 2025. Actually, I think by then e-mail will have evolved into something else that won't require whatever the PC will morph into by that time.

20 years. Let me just recall my world in 1985. Saving my money to purchase a rack stereo system (remember those?). Along with the requisite turntable, it had dual cassette decks. Also had an aux jack where one could add something called a compact disc player in the future. My mom and dad also purchased their first VCR, a two-head device with a wired remote. No cable TV in this house. (No way would my father have paid for additional TV channels, as he asserted most programs of that time were garbage anyway.)

Back to the present. The rack system became garage sale/landfill material years ago. No longer have any way to play my vinyl records. The only way me or Geogal can play cassettes is on one small system purchased a few years ago (with 3-disc CD) or on two vintage Walkmans. Still use VHS to record and play back programs, but that will likely go the way of the audio cassette as soon as our household obtains TiVo and a DVD recorder. Cable is yesterday's technology. Have had DirecTV for close to five years now.

I could go on, but I think I have made my point.

No comments: