Tuesday, November 22, 2005

And they wonder why box office is flat

Saw this item in my morning newspaper:

LATEST: JENNIFER GARNER, KATE HUDSON and LINDSAY LOHAN have emerged as the front runners in the race to land the coveted role of JEANNIE in the upcoming movie adaptation of TV series I DREAM OF JEANNIE.

______________________________________________________________
(warning--sarcastic comment ahead)

Gee, I'll be first in line to see that one.

When are the suits in Hollywood going to learn that originality is still important? I believe it was shortly before the release of "Million Dollar Baby" that Clint Eastwood said in an interview he was disgusted with the studios, saying most of the movies nowadays fall into three categories: remakes, sequels, or adaptations of TV shows. He's still right.

Didn't the poor box office of "Bewitched" (just to name one) say anything to the creative heads?

How about my queue in Netflix? Let me list some of the movies I've recently rented. Rio Bravo, The Producers, Saturday Night Fever, Remember the Titans, My Favorite Year, Westworld. Notice a pattern? I don't think any were remakes. Sadly, I hear "The Producers" and "Westworld" are currently in the remake process.

sigh.......

Message to Hollywood: Keep putting out garbage, and I'll keep renting classic movies. I haven't even scratched the surface of all the movies I want to see.

No comments: