Thursday, October 27, 2005

Just as sports has its place, so does humor

I'm in a very down mood today. Not because the Astros lost, but due to a tragedy that occurred within our community involving people with whom we were acquainted. Violent and senseless. Many questions will never be answered. To protect the privacy of the people involved, that is all I will reveal.

"Kicked in the gut" is perhaps the best way I can describe my feeling. To be sure, I've felt it before but that in no way removes the mental anguish I am currently experiencing. So, I do my usual routine of getting online and reading my normal sites, both blogs and print media. Then I decided to turn to James Lileks. The Bleat gave me some chuckles, then I found one of his Star-Tribune columns, which had me howling for a few minutes. Afterward, I felt just a little better. A little.

Please, PLEASE do not misunderstand me. I am not saying that death and destruction, particularly when they hit close to home, can just be "laughed off," nor should they. But in certain situations appropriate (read: gentle, positive, sparing, and healthy) use of humor can be helpful. It's another way those of us who struggle through things in this world can cope.

No comments: