Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Last One (For A While) (Maybe) (But....)

As promised, I watched all four hours of the Texas/Texas A&M game on Thanksgiving evening.  (OK, so the game itself wasn't four hours but it began at 7 and didn't end until almost 11.) 

Saw Texas win on a last-second field goal.  Glimmers of earlier in the day where I saw the Cowboys win their contest on a last-second field goal.

Classy move, Show Band Of The Southwest, doing a "Thanks  T/A/M" formation during the halftime show.  Pity someone hasn't yet put that on YouTube. 

Last one?  I figure not.  I (and a whole lotta folks in the Lone Star State) hope cooler heads prevail and keep this contest on the schedule.  Still, it seems plausible they won't meet on the gridiron for a couple of years or so. 

Friday night I caught most of the Backyard Brawl (that's Pittsburgh versus West Virginia, for my kin who disbelieve football exists in the Eastern time zone).  Just as with the Longhorn/Aggie game, this one too will fall victim to conference realignment.   Another rivalry sacrificed to school greed. 

Yesterday I watched some of the Border War.  (Come on, folks, I explained this one in a previous posting.)  Some mention was made of that contest possibly being the final one but it doesn't seem to evoke the emotional outrage of the Texas schools matchup or the scrum between the Mountaineers and Panthers.  Likely because Kansas is much more a basketball school but it also might be that I just am not acquainted with that many Jayhawks. 

So what about the future college pigskin matchups for Thanksgivings to come?  I've heard talk that Texas versus Texas Tech is the touted replacement for the Aggie game. 

Say what you will but everyone knows it just won't be the same.

All the more reason for the decision-makers to do the right thing.

On the subject of rivalries, an aside before I close out this entry:  I caught the documentary "Roll Tide, War Eagle" on ESPN.  Yeesh, makes Texas versus Texas A&M look like child's play.  


No comments: