Monday, January 31, 2011

Reflections on a windy snowy evening

Last Friday it was in the 60's. Today it barely got into the teens. Then the cold really hit. I won't share what tonight's wind chills are expected to be (don't want to scare you). Then by Friday it should be in the 40's. Downright balmy.

Little Geoana doesn't have school tomorrow. (When the projected wind chill hits 25 below zero they automatically cancel public education.) Geogal will be home with her (even if they had school we still would keep her home as little Geoana was sent home sick today).

As for me, I have to get up, dress warm, dig out my vehicle, and get my carcass to work. (I'm not complaining, I'm just sayin'....)

Tonight's meal was roasted chicken with green beans. I intimated mashed potatoes would go well with the meat and veggie, especially since yesterday's roast beef dish (prepared in the pressure cooker) yielded a heckuva lotta gravy. Good gravy. Gravy that doesn't come from a packet.

Geogal agreed. When we were eating I simply said, "It's just a potatoes and gravy kind of night." Cold outside, need to stay warm on the inside.
_______________________________

Speaking of the pressure cooker, we used it twice during the weekend. Pinto beans (goes good with cornbread) and the aforementioned roast. The amazing part is that I started with dried pintos. Not soaked overnight. Totally dry.

Less than an hour later I had a pinto bean concoction ready for eating. Beans were nice and soft. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't cooked it myself.

_______________________________

The same time I was making the beans, Geogal was baking banana bread. Our kitchen had an interesting mix of smells. Oniony and bakery-sweet, at the same time. Still beats eating out.

No comments: