Monday, September 03, 2007

Quick sports notes

Just some observations from college football's opening weekend:

Need any more proof that collegiate sports has a high level of psychological importance? Just look at the opening moments of the Virginia Tech/East Carolina game. How many times did the announcers talk about "healing?"

I was unable to catch the Texas/Arkansas State game (just no TV coverage of it out in these parts). But from what I heard, the Longhorns need to get with it, or else. Last year's loss to A&M is still leaving a bad taste in the mouths of the Burnt Orange faithful.

I watched all of the California/Tennessee game. (OK, I admit it. I really wanted to hear the UT band play "Rocky Top.") And the game itself did not disappoint. Either both of those teams are really good, or both of those teams have a porous defense. (I'm guessing the former.)

Lastly, I'm checking the scoreboard on the Sunday sports page, looking for my alma mater. Don't see them in the W or L column. Then I'm thinking to myself, "Why didn't they play?" A few minutes later, I'm looking at the scoreboard on ESPN.com. Only then do I notice they actually played last Thursday.

And won.

Not a bad start to tailgating/pigskin time.

No comments: