Thursday, August 16, 2007

Flying light and eating heavy


And yesterday went off with nary a hitch as well!

Did I forget to mention that this week is an unusual one for me?

It is. Yesterday morning, little Geoana and I boarded a plane for Austin, Texas. We then met my mom and dad, and the little one is now in the throes of enjoying a stay at the grandparent's house.

What about me? I boarded a return flight a few hours after arriving in The Lone Star State and was back in Phoenix before suppertime.

And today, considering the weather concerns from Tropical Storm Erin, I'm glad yesterday was the cheap airfare day. Going today would have been horrid for all involved.

The only thing that went awry yesterday was being unable to visit with my folks over the noon meal. We intended to patronize one of the restaurants at the Austin airport. However, it turned out just about all of the eateries were inside the terminal (that is, beyond the security check). So, we finally decided to have Grandma and Grandpa take the little one, visit a fast food place, then head home, while I would have a little time to myself before again taking flight. My only hope was to find some true “Texas” food.

I didn't have to look far.

Strolling among the eateries, I noticed one called “The Salt Lick.” Eureka! BBQ!!!

You see, I was secretly hoping to enjoy the slow-smoked meat for which Texas is known worldwide. And The Salt Lick did not disappoint. In fact, the platter I purchased was so loaded with vittles I wondered if I would even finish it.

I did. (But I sure didn't have to eat again for many hours.)

After eating, I walked around the terminal for a while. Then I saw it.

Harlon's Barbecue.

Not one, but two BBQ joints in the airport. And Harlon's actually had two eateries in the terminal. I had to laugh out loud. Here I was, hoping to find one place with BBQ, and this airport has two.

Only in Texas.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

You are soo lucky you ate at The Salt Lick. Best BBQ ever. Geobro-in-law always ate there for birthdays. It used to be a little place close to Driftwood and now they're in the airport!! I'm sure mom and dad are enjoying geoana -- she's so much quieter and calmer than the geonephews and Jack.

Rob15 said...

This is from geodad. Glad yougot your fill of BBQ. We settled for the 1st McDonalds we ran into. I guess we'll have to jumpthe gates next time and get some BBQ before the Homeland Security folks catch us. However, there is Luling BBQ. Why didn't geomom and I know about the Salt Lick? Why is our family keeping secrets from us? By the way, geoana is doing just fine with grandma and grandpa. I may get worn out from playing "Go Fish," however.