Tuesday, August 14, 2007

An antidote for worry

The people who follow the 12 Steps have a saying. The axiom is so old and so popular that even many people who never darkened the doorstep of an AA meeting know it: "One day at a time."

Meaning: Don't dwell on the future, on what may happen days, weeks, or years down the road. Just take care of today's stuff today.

Some folks have even taken the slogan one step further. Such as "one hour at a time," or "one minute at a time." Whatever it takes.

I think I said the "one minute at a time" to myself numerous times yesterday. It was a packed day and filled with tasks that were outside my normal routine. Take the car to the body shop, secure a rental car, take little Geoana to grandma's house, participate in a professional function, retrieve Geoana, work out at the gym much later than usual (meaning more crowded), then prepare the evening meal.

And guess what? It all went off without a hitch. I need to take yesterday and file it in the "make sure you remember this" part of my mind for use in the future. To be sure, you the reader might not think that what I just listed entailed any type of stressful day, but remember you were not in my shoes! Plus, I have a strong sense God is using my experiences to break me of my worry habit.

No comments: