Sunday, December 10, 2006

Just some random lazy Sunday thoughts

Arizona State could have done worse. After all, Erickson should have a solid recruiting base in the Pacific Northwest and he has a good track record in Pac-10 football.

That's pretty much all I will say about that issue. Since my alma mater is among the bottom-feeders of Division I college football, it is interesting to watch the actions of a school that has a strong local alumni base and extremely devoted fans. In fact, I interact with so many people who bleed maroon and yellow, I have to usually hold my tongue when I feel a need to express my gut-level emotions about ASU. (Hint: these aforementioned feelings tend to not be positive.)

______________________________________________________

I noticed this article, then this one, regarding satellite radio.

I'm not positive about a merger. Yes, the FCC likely will block it. However, I wonder if satellite radio (both providers) are presently lacking a "killer app." Something that will make it highly desireable to the general public. Remember how th e IBM PC was introduced in 1981, with Apple's version already on the market? While spreadsheets were the killer app for business users, the home user had no real counterpart until about 1995, when the World Wide Web took off. Suddenly even Grandma was buying a computer in order to get online. The corporate heads of Sirius and XM should both be thinking about what they can offer that nearly everyone would want. I'm sure it's out there. Time for some creative thinking.

No comments: