Saturday, October 07, 2006

Finally, the front door!

That's better.

Home. Nice to be here.

(I used to dread coming home from a trip. That was back in my much-younger days when "home" was an apartment, usually one that fell somewhat short of my expectations for a nice dwelling. But now, being a homeowner, sometimes the best sight in the world is my front door.)

As expected, the MacBook turned out to be an excellent road warrior. On the second-to-last-day of the journey, we powered it up at every Texas rest area (needing to stop at every one on the way that morning due to my penchant to indulge in large cups of coffee--but hey, it kept me alert and improved my mood to boot). Texas, perhaps like some other states, is equipping all of their rest areas with wireless technology. I was able to check the e-mail while Geogal and Geoana tended to business. I can only dream of what a road trip ten years in the future will entail. I'm reasonably sure it will include the ability to watch DirecTV or Dish Network in one's vehicle (while moving) with only a miniscule antenna magnetically mounted on the vehicle roof. And that will just be the start. Should be some interesting journeys in my family's future.

Just in case you were wondering, the final trip odometer reading was (drum roll please...): 2,691 miles. I would guess only about 100-150 of those were non-highway miles.

I'll start going through some of the pics we took over the last 2-3 days and post the ones we deem postworthy. Then, this blog will return to my usual rants about sports, culture, and sports. And technology.

Thanks for the nice comments, Geocousin!

No comments: