Monday, October 10, 2005

I'll admit it

...I turned 40 last week.

It's not as bad as I would have imagined it some years ago. Truth be told, I am more satisfied with my life overall now than when I turned 30 (the throes of graduate school and low-paying work), or even 20 (wondering what the @*!! to do with my life).

And I don't have any gray hair. At least none that's visible.

Plus, I have my four-year-old daughter Geoana, who is next to me as I type this. Perhaps she keeps me younger than my years. Just finished playing a game of Chutes and Ladders (she cheats when daddy's not looking) while watching The Incredibles.

But I did realize within the past day or so that in 10 more years, I will be able to join AARP. Then I was reading James Lileks' column, which contained this segment:

"Not to say that young people were always avid consumers of newspapers. I do not recall the Fonzie-wannabees of my high school ripping my paper from my hands so they could read what Jack Anderson had to say about ABSCAM. (If that previous sentence made sense to you, you may now head off to Denny's and present your AARP discount card.)"

And I understood the whole thing!

But I still don't feel old.

No comments: