Monday, October 17, 2005

Not Just Yet!

It seems most of the sports prognosticators (actually all of the ones I've heard today) are expecting the Astros to go to the World Series. After all, they have already won three games to the Cardinals one, and the team from Houston seems to possess one of the best starting rotations outside of The Bronx.

Before I jump on that bandwagon, let me write with the point of view of someone who's familiar with Houston professional sports. I'll wait until that final out before I start celebrating. Now I am aware that many Astros fans will want to pummel me for making such a comment. But remember history. I believe it was 1981 (I am typing this off the top of my head, before the first pitch of tonight's game.. so forgive me if I'm a little off) when the Astros and Phillies went head to head for the right to go to the World Series. Close, but no cigar. Excitement all around Houston, but the Phillies won the playoff and went on to win it all.

I also recall the old Houston Oilers, who were one of the more average NFL teams for most of the 70's, but in the early 80's they were kept out of the Super Bowl at least twice by Pittsburgh. Then the club moves to Tennessee and misses the Vince Lombardi trophy by about 2 yards. (OK, a touchdown would likely have sent the game to overtime, but I think you get my point.)

I have several family members who probably know many true long-suffering Houston baseball and football fans. Those folks likely will understand my caution at this time.

By the way, I won't be watching any of tonight's game. I actually haven't seen any of the games so far, and I don't want to jinx it..........

No comments: