Saturday, September 10, 2016

Using It All!

A great morning to relax and write!  Slept well (first deep sleep in several days) and overnight got nice and cool.  How cool?  I'll say this:  I went to sleep with the window open, hearing crickets, which isn't unusual given this time of year and our yard backing up to a creek.  

I wake around 4:30.  I hear nothing from outside.  No chirps, no insect songs.  

I'm no entomologist but I suspect even the crickets knock it off if the temp is cool enough.  Thermometer this morning read just a bit below 48 degrees.  

Autumn is on its way.  We're not even into mid-September but in addition to some cooler nights I'm also seeing leaves falling from my black walnut tree.  

________________________________

Speaking of the season, yes, I enjoyed last weekend's college football offerings as much as anyone.  Great matchups and a few surprises.  

Loved seeing the Houston Cougars take out OU.  Then the following night the Longhorns went toe-to-toe with the Fighting Irish and won it in overtime.  I love it when the games show (as they do every year) that preseason polls mean nothing.  

Too bad this weekend doesn't have such juicy contests.  As one commenter on SiriusXM's College Sports Nation channel remarked:  "Now we have the big-name institutions playing the schools with directional names."  

_______________________________

Why is today's post titled the way it is?  

It reflects our taking the camper to the lake a couple of weekends ago.  Since we were not far from home the gals did a little grocery shopping for Saturday night's meal.  Inexpensive steak (cooked over charcoal), salad and then a dessert.  

They decided to buy a frozen cherry pie and bake it in the camper's oven.  

Like many RV-ers I don't have great use for the oven.  Reminds me of the time, years ago, where Geogal and I were casually looking at some used campers.  We looked at one in nearby Oberlin, where the owner pointed out that neither he nor anyone else in his family ever had used the oven.  It served as a storage compartment.  He remarked:  "How many people say, 'We're camping.  How about baking a cake?'"  

That phrase has since stuck with our own household.  Yet Geoana likely will bake a cake in the rig before she leaves for college, just to say she's done so.  

Back to the present.  I had to pull out my camcorder and go back over the recording of my walk-through the day I took possession of the travel trailer.  Sure enough, the guy explained how to light the pilot, which then ignites the oven burner.  

It worked!  Made the inside a little warm but that's why you have air conditioning, right?

Cherry pie was good and they remembered to grab a container of Cool Whip as well.  

With successful use of the oven, I can now say I've used everything in the camper.  

Plumbing?  Yes.  Kitchen sink, bathroom sink, tub, toilet.  

Furnace?  Check.  

Refrigerator?  Done.  It works off of both electric and propane.  

Water heater?  Yup.  As with the fridge, works with either electricity or propane.  

(Geoguy's father is reading that last sentence with some jealousy.  When he and Geomon had their 5th wheel he said one of the more aggravating things was trying to light the water heater's pilot.  Almost always it was windy and the camper was pointed in the "wrong" direction.  Sorry Dad.  Industry has made some advances and not only do I have an electric element, the gas burner has an auto-ignite feature.)

Range?  Done.  

And now the oven.  Works like a charm.  

Not too bad for a guy who knew next to nothing about RV-ing just a few years ago.  

No comments: