Thursday, November 26, 2015

Weather!

Today, Thanksgiving Day, it's cold, sleety, followed by snowy.  

But I'd rather write about what we encountered last Monday.  

Before I get into that detail I will explain the title of today's post.  

Many years ago (about 35 if I recall correctly) I owned a book titled The Genuine Texas Handbook.  I don't have it anymore, I think I finally threw it out when the pages all got scattered after the binding broke down.  One of the chapters had a glossary of Texas terms, one of which was "weather."  

Definition:  Any unpleasant meteorological occurrence.  

Then it was used in a sentence.   "Brother, we're about to have us some weather!"

That was the case last Monday.  Two days prior I did my last yard-mowing of the season and cleaned out the house gutters as well.  I was checking the forecast and wanted to be ready in case we did get precipitation.  

I was glad I did.  

Clouds gathered in the early evening and by the time we were enjoying supper the rain started.  

Then more rain.  

Then a whole lot more.  

The three of us were well into the meal when the town's tornado siren went off. That, followed by the alert from the weather radio sent us to the basement.  

And if that wasn't enough, how about some hail?

Whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, clatter, bam, bam, bam, BAM!

The aftermath?  No damage to our vehicles.  The hail wasn't any larger than dime size.  And the funnel clouds that did touch down in the area weren't anywhere near our house, or even our town for that matter.  Fortunately those that did didn't cause any injuries.  

But I didn't escape the wrath of Geogal.  While she and Geoana were in the basement watching the weather reports on TV and enjoying "The Voice" when they resumed normal programming, I went up several times checking on the size of the hail.  

My child swears she heard her mother saying: "If your father winds up dead from a tornado I swear I will kill him!"  

That was one of the few times I didn't need to make up a humorous ending for a posting.  

No comments: