Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Building of Character (cont.)

My last post detailed a sudden change in the weather.  

Today's entry involves more activity on my part although meteorology does play a supporting role.  

Last Friday I took a vacation day and Geogal and I headed to Omaha.  Reason?  I took the camper to the dealer there two weeks prior for some service work.  Repairs are done and now it's time to retrieve our warm-weather hobby.  

As is always the case, I had a plan well thought-out beforehand.  Pick up camper, get it hitched up then either camp or spend the evening at a hotel.  This would then lead into Saturday in which the two of us head home.  Once there I would back the camper into its designated area adjacent to the house, there it would stay for the winter season.  

I also was keeping a close watch on the Omaha weather forecast.  Not only am I always wondering about weather conditions this time of year but I wanted to be aware of overnight lows.  

Since part of the work for the camper involved the plumbing I brought it to the dealer with a fair amount of fresh water in the tank.  But when you are into November a responsible camper owner always has plans to winterize the system.  The night before our arrival in Omaha the low was 29 degrees.  That's not problematic.  

Friday night, on the other hand, was to have a low of 22.  That is cause for concern.  

I already had the bottles of pink antifreeze in my vehicle.  I originally planned to winterize once I got back home but figured I should be prepared for anything.  

So, we arrive at the dealer and I move into action.  After verifying the repairs are to my liking I then open the drain valve and out goes the rest of the fresh water.  Onto the pavement but it sure won't do any harm.  Plus it's supposed to either rain or snow later in the day so letting loose the liquid is of no matter.  

That task done, it's time to add the antifreeze.  

It also is starting to sprinkle.  Plus it's cold.  I give Geogal credit, she took it all in good humor.  

Get out the funnel, add the pink stuff to the now-closed fresh water tank.  Then the two of us begin running the different faucets and the toilet until all the water changes to the desired reddish hue.  

(Hey Geogal, you just learned how to winterize the rig!)

By now the rain is coming down steady.  We hitch the camper to the truck and it's off and away.  Before leaving home we decided to stay overnight in a hotel.  So, let's get there and settle in to the room!  

Easier said than done?

The steady rain soon morphs into snow.  The steady freeway traffic morphs into rush-hour slow.  

And I'm still not 100% comfortable pulling the rig.  

But as is often the case with vehicles, slower is better.  Plus safe.  

We get to the hotel and check-in goes smoothly.  Then we face a dilemma of the evening meal.  We don't want to A) lose our parking spaces behind the hotel and B) drive to a restaurant while dragging camper behind.  There are a few eating establishments within walking distance, under normal weather conditions, but not when it's snowing and the wind chill is down into the 20's.  Hotel itself has no restaurant and the pickings are slim from their lobby refrigerated cabinet.  (Hint:  You better not be lactose-intolerant if you wish to take one of those back to your room and nuke it.)  

Finally Geogal has the solution.  Go online and order pizza and wings for delivery from the nearby Pizza Hut.  

We ate well.  We then slept well.  

Not only that but the snow stopped during the evening with no accumulation.  Saturday dawned a bit cold with with clear skies and almost no wind.  

Great driving conditions.  Many hours later we are home.  With more character.  

No comments: