Monday, August 10, 2015

Other Thoughts

Some things which just didn't make it into my Chicago road trip narrative...

I gave no thought to the historic beginning point of America's most famous highway.  Given I've lived very near it (Albuquerque), been close to the end point (Santa Monica), traveled the modern four-lane version (Interstates 15, 40, 44, 55), appreciated a book in which the road plays a significant role (The Grapes of Wrath) and enjoyed several versions of Bobby Troup's ode I didn't realize the corridor began in Chi-Town.  

(When I say didn't realize I mean this fact did not register in my brain when planning the trip.  I've long since known where the Mother Road started its westward journey.)  

On our first day downtown I saw this:


What about enjoying all Chicago had to offer regarding digital TV?  Fortunately the hotel gods were more kind to me this trip than when I was in northern Virginia and my window faced east.  Right in the direction of Willis Tower.  With a pair of amplified rabbit ears I got nearly every station in the third-largest media market in the nation.  

Several times the offerings were superior to what was available on the hotel's cobbled-together Dish Network system.  

If that wasn't enough I also took opportunity while at a rest area just east of Des Moines.  While waiting for the gals to return to the trusty vehicle I took the MacBook Air out of sleep, set up the antenna, and did well at seeing all of the full-powered signals in the Des Moines-Ames DMA.  I'm glad to have the chance to do this, since I viewed the real-tall sticks with great appetite during two of our Rochester, Minnesota journeys last year.  The reason I didn't get a chance then had to do with my old ancient MacBook and its complete lack of battery power.  (It was only eight years old, after all.)  

And when the ladies returned I happened to be watching The Monkees on Antenna TV.  Geogal even asked if I had the ability to run the system while we were in transit.  Sadly, no.  I told her the reality of needing to be stationary in order to watch digital TV.  She then related how her father used his engineering abilities and knack for buying items well below retail to set up a TV in their conversion van.  Not only could the passengers enjoy TV if in or near a city but also they could play video games on the long trips to Oregon.  It seemed like a happy memory.  

Food?  My only regret was not having a chance to enjoy corned beef.  However I learned I like a different type of food.  

The Chicago Dog.  

I really really like it.  I always meant to try one but didn't think I'd get hooked.  I'm usually not a big fan of pickles and mustard but somehow on the Chicago Dog it just all seems right.  

Who knows?  If I get another opportunity to visit the Windy City I might just try an Italian beef sandwich.  

Did the beginning of Married...with Children including Frank Sinatra singing "love and marriage, love and marriage..." go through my head repeatedly when at Buckingham Fountain?  Of course.

At the close of the vacation did we agree to disband and join other families?  Ha ha, no.  Not even close.  

Next major city destination?  Perhaps the Big Apple is calling...

No comments: