Monday, August 17, 2015

Branching Out

When it's time to plan the meals at the Geohouse we typically choose from several tried-and-true dishes.  Everything from ground beef-based recipes to entrees featuring fish or flora.  

But after the visit to Chicago I decided to tackle something new.  

Our first eatery in downtown Chi-town was Falafel Heaven.  Given the three of us were nearly famished we all chose pitas filled with beef and lamb mixtures.  We supplemented those with a dish of hummus.  It all was good.  Mighty good.  Better than Subway.  

The astute reader probably noticed we actually didn't partake any of the restaurant's namesake.  

Yet I always wondered what fried chickpeas, properly seasoned, might taste like.  

So I decided to give it a shot.  I enjoy cooking and sometimes like a challenge.  Besides, given dry garbanzo beans are inexpensive, even if I ruin this thing we're not out much $$$.  

Next step is to go online.  I finally glean an idea of my kitchen creation with herbs and spices I already have in the rack.  

Time to execute!  

Result?  

Young Geoana had seconds.  That's enough of a positive message for me.  It was not only edible, it was somewhat tasty.  Put the fried patties into pita pockets with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes. Then Geogal had the bright idea to drizzle a bit of ranch dressing in her ensemble.  Perfect!

I pointed out that Geoana could enjoy this in the future with some Greek yogurt.  She likes it, I don't.  

Feedback included me needing to step up the seasoning just a bit, such as adding coriander and using more cardamom.  But for a first try I was happy.  

Vegetarian?  Yes.  Vegan?  No.  

I did use one egg as a binding agent.  

Makes a mess in the kitchen but then this is a food that requires frying on a skillet.  Besides I think often the gustatory pleasure of a meal is directly proportional to the mess made in the kitchen.  

And everything can be cleaned up.  

No comments: