Sunday, March 01, 2015

In Honor Of Leonard Nimoy

Given the news of his passing on Friday I began thinking of what to watch that evening.  We have the movies and Star Trek TOS is easily available through Netflix streaming.  

However I decided to take a less-obvious episode.  Star Trek TNG also is offered via Netflix streaming and I remembered a two-parter.  Took a quick look through the season list and found it in Season 5 (some might call this season the zenith of the series).  

Unification, parts 1 and 2.  

I recalled only bits and pieces of this story since so much time has passed since I viewed it.  No matter, good storytelling doesn't age and these episodes were a pleasant way to spend a Friday evening with the family.  

To no one's surprise, Me-TV network chose to air "Amok Time" as their Saturday evening Star Trek: TOS episode.  However I want to take my blog space and recommend a few other eps where Nimoy really shined:  

Season 1:  This Side of Paradise

Season 2:  Return to Tomorrow

Season 3:  All Our Yesterdays

First choice?  Spock is freed of his Vulcan stoicism, has an affair of the heart and almost pummels Kirk to death.  Second one?  Nimoy gets to play a character other than "ol' pointy-ears."  Third one?  Spock almost gives McCoy an a__-kicking.  

And while I was going through the episode list for the hyperlinks I noticed "This Side of Paradise" follows "A Taste of Armageddon," which was the Me-TV Saturday evening Star Trek show from two weeks ago.  If proceeding logically (sorry, couldn't resist), then my choice from Season One will be the episode for this coming Saturday evening.  Keep an eye on the TV listings.  

And rest in peace, Leonard Nimoy.

No comments: