Friday, December 26, 2014

Retirement??


As you gleaned from yesterday’s post I have a new MacBook.  

Which means my venerable 2006-purchased black MacBook is headed for the pasture.  

Actually the latter machine has been in semi-retired status for some time now.  Most of my computing for the past two (if not three) years was in front of the iMac down in the study.  If I wanted portability at home I grabbed Geoana’s iPad.  Don’t give me that dirty look.  Ever since last Christmas when she gained ownership of her iPhone 5C and its capacity to play Netflix and YouTube videos on demand anywhere and anytime she’s made little use of her Apple tablet.  So usually the only time I used the older MacBook was when I took a trip that required at least one overnight stay.  Nothing like an actual computer to connect to the hotel’s wi-fi and keep me abreast with the outside world.  And my own world back in NW Kansas.  

That older Mac still does plenty considering it’s 8 years old.  I can still surf the Net on Safari and use the Eye TV for watching over-the-air idiot box.  iTunes still has my music and Pages will still create a beautiful document.  Yet the machine’s battery has been nonexistent for about four years now and I just had a hard time coughing up cash for a replacement battery.  Plus when I upgraded the Mac to Snow Leopard it seemed to run just a little more slow than when it operated under good old plain Leopard.  Also the internal Superdrive (CD/DVD burner combo) has since died.  And time marches on.  Operating systems become less supported.  New technology emerges.  Having mini-Displayport and Firewire no longer is important.  Time to move into the age of Thunderbolt and USB-3.  

So in referencing the picture above the one on the left now will give way to the aluminum-bodied Mac on the right.  

You had a good run, black MacBook.  Just consider all of the TV markets where you gave Geoguy a look at the local digital over-the-air offerings: 

Lincoln/Kearney/Hastings
NW Kansas (in the Wichita market yet served by full-power satellites in places such as Colby-Goodland and Hays-Great Bend)
Denver
Albuquerque
Phoenix
Colorado Springs
Wichita proper
Rapid City
Omaha
Dallas-Fort Worth
Kansas City
North Platte (one of the smallest DMA’s you will find)
Oklahoma City
San Antonio
Austin
Cheyenne
Los Angeles (at least what I could receive at the Ontario airport)
Palm Springs
Topeka
Minneapolis-St. Paul

Wow.  I dragged that Mac a lot of places.  

A few days ago Geogal asked me what I would do with that older MacBook.  I answered that I didn’t quite know but I was not going to throw the thing onto the scrap heap.  

It still might have some use.  Heck just yesterday morning I set it up to play streaming audio to my older stereo system in the living room.  Christmas music, courtesy of KLUX in Corpus Christi TX.  Their normal format is beautiful music and they are owned by the Catholic Diocese of Corpus Christi so I didn’t have to worry about them playing “A Miley Cyrus Christmas.”  


The Mac performed admirably.  I don’t want that to be its swan song.  

No comments: