Sunday, September 15, 2013

My prediction was correct, and it sure didn't take long

As I noted in my last entry I did indeed watch the iPhone presentation (not live, but on Memorex) this past Tuesday evening.

First, I noticed the event only rolled out the two new iPhone models.  I was not surprised by the offerings but the absence of any other products seemed to make this past week's Apple "special event" a bit disappointing for ol' Geoguy.  I very much missed Steve Jobs this time around, particularly when I saw the time remaining and Tim Cook appearing to wrap up the iPhone 5C and 5S details.  I thought, "Could he be taking a cue from the master and about to do a 'just one more thing...' product intro?" 

Sadly no.  Everyone at the live event then got to hear three songs from Elvis Costello.  That moment I was glad I was not subject to live event "real time" and could just hit fast forward on my Apple TV remote.  I am not a Costello fan.

Seems I am not the only one who found the event or the presentation lacking something.  Maclife's Michael Simon shares his take.  

Still the phones themselves are impressive.  When the 5C's introduction concluded I remember thinking:  "Every kid in America will want one of these."  I then annotated that sentence to include "every kid in every industrialized nation..." 

It's less than a week later and Geoana is already making her case to get an iPhone 5C.  Both her mother and I explained to her that the cost of the phone will include a monthly data plan, which does add a certain amount to the monthly bill.  Thus the child is now taking more stock of her cash on hand plus anticipated income via pet watching and babysitting.

How will all of this play out?  Keep visiting this blog.

As for me I am more than ready to see what Apple will add to their next release of the iPad mini (the model I am likely to own).  And I can certainly wait until next month to find out.  And yes, Geogal did read the previous entry and didn't think my last sentence was particularly amusing.


No comments: