Thursday, September 19, 2013

A conversation, then a hotel visit

While getting gas midweek last week (prelude to an overnight business-related trip) on the other side of the pump was a pickup-travel trailer combination.  Given my interest in these particular types of camping rigs I gave it more than a quick glance while simultaneously filling my vehicle's tank with petrol.  Not a large rig but not small, either.  The tow vehicle was a Ford 3/4 ton with a diesel engine.  The driver noticed my interest and greeted me. 

I began the conversation by mentioning I am looking to purchase a rig of my own in the near future. 

His response?  Not what I expected:

"Let me give you a piece of good advice.  Don't buy a travel trailer.  Just keep your truck, load it up with what you need, then use hotels for your camping." 

Given we were on opposite sides of the gas island I couldn't see his expression but I'd wager he wasn't smiling. 

We talked for about another minute or so.  Turns out he was from Georgia, headed for Idaho.  Does this trip twice a year. 

Fast forward to the evening.  I'm now in Wichita and checked into my hotel.  Free wi-fi, but free does you no good when you can't connect.  The room is acceptable but nothing beyond that.  No kitchen (of course), need to head out for the evening meal. 

Even hearing the fellow's wisdom from earlier in the day I still long to camp.  Not worry about when the linens on my bed were last changed or laundered.  Cook for myself if I desire.  Not having to hear doors closing up and down the hall for a good chunk of the night.  Being able to run a fan all night if I desire (white noise), some hotel AC/heat systems have this feature, some don't.  My stay last week did not.  Still feeling like you are in your own space. 

Hotels have their purpose, but I've "camped" in enough of them the last 10-15 years to last me a lifetime. 

No comments: