Thursday, September 30, 2010

Central NE TV viewing

Forgot to mention this in the last post but I did take the trusty laptop and DTV stick with me to Kearney. It's been many months since I've taken a view of the local stations (heck, it's been many many weeks since I have even last used the DTV tuner--not since late July when I had some curiosity about what I could get in the Ardmore Oklahoma area).

A little has changed. First I still could not pull in KHAS, channel 5 (yes, they use RF 5 for their digital signal for reasons unknown to me). Given the frequency is in low-band VHF I almost have to be within a few blocks of the tower to receive it adequately with my low grade rabbit ears. The other two major stations were no problem, KGIN on 11 and KHGI on 13. Both high-band VHF, both towers were much closer to my location, and both have sufficient power for a constant signal. KGIN still broadcasts The CW on its .2 subchannel with a low-grade SD picture in contrast with the HD CBS sports programming I saw on 11.1 (a SEC matchup).

The biggest surprise was KHGI. Not only do they have ABC programming in HD on their 13.1 channel but they now have Fox on the .2 subchannel. Fox also was in HD.

That's right. Two 720p signals on one frequency. Now that's a good use of bandwidth!

With Fox programming now on KHGI I noticed the previous Fox affiliate, KTVG, is off the air. For good most likely. Interesting. I wonder if this is a harbinger for some other markets particularly where there is a duopoly. If you can move programming to subchannels then why continue to burn electricity and deal with the high overhead if you don't have to?

By the way, I got quite a few legal ID screen capture pictures from my summer journeys. I'll post them soon over at my companion blog.

No comments: