Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A time to relax

After the last few evenings it's just nice to be idle.

For those of you not in the know, I work full-time at a career that has nothing to do with blogging or even writing in general. My chosen field requires that I engage in continuing education as a way of maintaining certain professional credentials. So for the past few nights I've been busy filling my noggin with new knowledge. Via home study. (A significant drawback to living in the boonies is that there are no professional workshops or conferences close by.)

But my task is nearly done and this is an evening that I can surf the net, bond with my satellite dish, or pursue several other meaningless but fulfilling activities. I also don't have to "batten down the hatches" as my kinfolk in Texas will no doubt be doing as Ike heads straight for them.

_________________________________

The Geofamily went to our first high school football game last Friday evening. It was everything I ever imagined, and more.

Before even arriving at the field, I hit the "seek" function on the FM tuner to find 92.5 airing the pre-game show for Phillipsburg High, 100.3 doing the same for Colby, 101.1, Oberlin, and 106.7, Norton High.

You almost have to pity the smaller burgs that don't have their own local station.

The game was good, the crowd was fun, and the home team won! The air also got quite crisp when the sun went down. Geogal came down with a cough, but some hot tea back at home did the trick.

Small-town life isn't nearly as dull and boring as some folks think.

Speaking of which, Saturday morning I saw a couple of four-footed animals chowing down on the vegetation behind the Geohouse (but off of my property). Thought I could capture the moment but alas, the poor light and window screen made for a shot that's not even worth posting on this blog.

Oh well. One needs to have goals in life.

No comments: