Saturday, November 11, 2006

...but probably no tequila and lime

OK! Gotta make time, sit down, do some writing.

What do I write about today? Elections/politics?

Nope.

My latest gadget?

Negative. Don't even have one that I haven't written to death in this blog. Except maybe for my recently-purchased three-burner propane grill, which has been feeding the Geofamily well. Plus, my mom and dad gave me a tome: Weber's Big Book of Grilling for my recent b-day. I've already tried two recipes from it, with pleasing results. Today I am experimenting with true BBQ (which means cooking the meat slow over low temps). Beef ribs, with some hickory chips to provide a true smoky flavor.

I'll let you know how it turned out.

Something that is occupying my mind of late. Next week, Geogal and I will be going south of the border for a couple of days. (She has a work-related gig in Rocky Point, aka Puerto Penasco.) So why am I not excited about this, an upcoming road trip? I'm not sure. Am I becoming an old man, scared of change and finding comfort in the routine and familiar? Dear God, I hope not. Do I have trepidation about an international sojourn, even though this does not involve air travel or a return stop through customs? Maybe just a bit. Never mind that hundreds of Arizonans do it every day. And that Rocky Point, even though it's about 60 miles from la frontera, is still considered a border town.

I also need to remember that gringos head there to have fun. So why can't I?

And it seems just about everyone around here goes there. Case in point: Geogal just called me, as among her errands today was to go to the Alltell store to ensure our cell phones would have international service. The sales guy's response? "I was just there last weekend. (The coverage) is hit or miss down there."

I really should just relax. It's not that big of a deal. Not nearly the situation my brother-in-law faced some years back, which involved he and some friends getting ready to visit a Central American country, then a coup occurred.

I'm pretty sure that's a true story. Maybe I should get some more details from him.

As for next week, we'll be fine.

No comments: