Saturday, April 30, 2005

From shame to pride

With the death of Pope John Paul II and the subsequent election of Pope Benedict XVI, the month of April was, for me, a time to reflect on my Catholic upbringing. I’ve made previous references to closely watching the ceremonies taking place in Vatican City and I’ve now reached a type of reconciliation with my past.

As with many young people raised in the church, I was active during my elementary school years, even reaching slightly into my junior high time. I attended C.C.D. and was an alter boy for about 2-3 years. Yet upon my entry into adulthood, I became bored (as did many of my contemporaries) with the entire culture of the church, along with the revelation that I now had a choice as to whether or not I attended. After my college years I became a Protestant for several reasons.

Being around other Protestants, I quickly began to feel a sense of shame about my Catholic upbringing. Some people were congratulatory, as if I had escaped the Gulag. Others were more direct about their hatred of the Catholic Church. Therefore I vowed to keep my spiritual upbringing quiet. Until now.

Seeing the outpouring of tributes and grief after the death of John Paul II and around the same time having a conversation with Geogal about how many Protestant churches ignore the importance of liturgy, I then realized the Catholic Church has many positives, even if its shortcomings have been under a media microscope for the past two years. These problems can be addressed and positive change can occur. But the basic mission of the Church is unchanged. And for that, I am proud to have been raised Catholic.

Speaking of the Catholic Church and the election of Benedict XVI, here is a column that is worth reading. (Hat tip-Hugh Hewitt)

No comments: