Monday, April 18, 2005

A delayed post

The following was originally written the evening of April 7. Before I was able to post it, Geogal unplugged the cable modem to use it for her work-related laptop. Since we are all awaiting the election of the next Pope, I still think it is relevant:

______________________________________________

Finally am able to spend a few minutes here at the keyboard. I know, I know. No new entries for some time. Blame that on a heavy work schedule, work at home preparing for Geoana’s upcoming birthday party, lack of sleep, and Geogal getting over strep throat.

Did I mention high stress?

In the tradition of many bloggers it seems fitting at this time, as Pope John Paul II’s funeral will begin in a few hours, to write something meaningful and insightful about his tenure heading the Roman Catholic Church. I don’t know about the meaningful or insightful, but I can still share my random thoughts.

I was a geeky almost-teenager when he was elected pope in 1978. I was raised Catholic, and the election of the Pope was closely followed in our house. It wasn’t until many years later that I learned the significance of a man from Poland being chosen Pope. Now, with the benefit of over 26 years of hindsight, I believe I was witness to a major change in the papacy. Over this past week many writers and commentators recall John Paul II was the most-traveled Pope in history. My memories of him will be much more than that. I think he changed the papacy and the church in ways that are only beginning to be noticed. I believe history will recall him as ushering in modern era of sorts for an office that was stodgy, to say the least. Yet, he didn’t usher in any sweeping changes to the church, either in tradition or in canon law. But what an impact he had on young people. I heard testimonials from the twentysomthings of today who credit this pontiff for inspiring them.

I certainly cannot say the same about Pope Paul VI (no disrespect intended). Nor, do I think, will the Pope to follow quite measure up.

No comments: