Monday, March 14, 2005

After the medicine kicks in.....

...it's time to start blogging! Since I just ingested some Motrin, time to hit the keyboard. So, time for more drivel.

Perhaps the reason newspaper writers dislike the blogosphere so intensely is the concept of dues-paying. There are a limited number of newspapers, and each of these periodicals has a finite number of column inches. And most writers in the larger dailies had to toil at the smaller gazettes, often for years, before obtaining their desired positions. Then what happens? The rules change!

Don't misunderstand me, I do not wish for the newspapers to vanish. You should know that I have a degree in journalism, I am just not using it to earn a paycheck at this time. I also admit that I enjoy reading the paper to which I subscribe, particularly with the first cup of coffee on a weekend morning.

My main argument is that editors and writers both need to increase their responsibility to their readership, which means balanced reporting (something I learned in my first freshman journalism class). I am well aware that bias and inaccuracies are not limited to the print medium.

And newspapers have a whole variety of uses.

No comments: