Sunday, January 12, 2020

Christmas In Minnesota--Part One

Maybe it was payment that finally came due.  

Since the time of my daughter’s birth we (Geogal, Geoana and I) have not traveled during the Christmas holiday.  That makes a good 18 years of staying home during the holidays which certainly makes a sometimes-difficult season less stressful.  But Christmas of 2019 was destined to be different.  

Road trips are nothing new for me.  Beginning in 1985 when I drove solo from Albuquerque to Austin, Texas (in one day) I’ve done the solitary driving journey numerous times.  Thus when Geogal and I developed our plans for Christmas we opted for me to make the drive to Minnesota.  She now has an apartment but was very limited, vehicle space-wise, when she ventured north at the end of November.  However I drive a Suburban (tons of interior room) and also rented a 12-foot long U-Haul trailer to handle the larger pieces of furniture.  So with specifics about what household items she needed and which furniture items she wanted I was soon packed, loaded and ready to go north.  

4:55 a.m. on 24 December.  Journey’s genesis.  My route involved driving north until I intersected U.S. 36, then head east until I meet U.S. 75, taking me around Sabetha and into Nebraska.  Made a quick potty-and-more-coffee stop in Auburn, then north to the Omaha metro area.  From there the route was familiar: I-80 across the Missouri River into Iowa, then turn north on I-29 to take me to Sioux City.  As I remembered from previous trips, the trek between Council Bluffs and Sioux City passed quickly.  No doubt this is due to the combination of interstate speeds and the stretch being very flat, given you’re traveling parallel to the Missouri River.  

Since I skimped on breakfast I elected to stop in Sioux City for an early (as in 10:30 a.m.) lunch.  Munching down an Incredible Whopper with a side of small fries gave my body and mind the needed energy boost.  I bid goodbye to Interstate 29 and took the northeast route out of town, back on U.S. 75.  Again this slab of highway is nothing new, as the Geofamily has taken it either to or from Minnesota at least three other times.  Yet today is different from those other sojourns.  Once I was past Le Mars (home of Blue Bunny ice cream!) and the four-lane changed designations from U.S. 75 to Iowa 60 the surrounding landscape color changed from brown/yellow to white.  This, combined with an increasing mist created a decrease in both visibility and my mood.  

What should I do when needing some mental energy?  Answer: Start engaging different brain cells and speculate on things outside my immediate journey while still paying attention to the road and other drivers.  

Since moving to Kansas in 2008 and becoming acclimated to what I affectionately call “western Kansas driving distance,” I’ve entertained thoughts of attaining a private pilot’s license as a means of not only showing myself I can learn the basics of aerodynamics but also have a means of transportation allowing faster travel between points A and B.  During this stretch of my drive I again had those thoughts but quickly came back to reality.  Given the poor visibility any type of flying north of Sioux City on this day would require IFR.  Granted, that type of rating can still be learned but takes more time and experience.  Sigh.  

But within the hour I’m approaching Worthington, just after crossing into Minnesota.  Time for another fuel, fluid and empty the bladder pause.   I text the gals that I’m now in my last of the four states for today and Geogal quickly responds how I’m making great time.  That also lifts my mood.  

Another factor that kicks me out of “the blues:” driving on a new (to me) stretch of highway.  On previous trips it was reach Worthington, then turn west on Interstate 90 toward Rochester.  Today—stay on Minnesota 60 until it intersects Minn. 15 at Madelia.  I’m enjoying the experience of different vistas and take note of one in particular.  It’s a flat stretch of white which I initially believe is a field given this is a heavily agricultural region.  But then I see what looks like hunting blinds only they are dark in color.  Suddenly it hits me:  That’s a frozen-over lake with ice fishing huts!  

A manifestation that I’ve entered a unique part of the United States.  And it’s this “uncommonality” (yes, I know that’s not a word) that increases this area’s appeal to the Geofamily.  Not to mention my propensity to engage in outdoor activities but that’s an entirely different blog entry.  

Back to the travelogue.  I pass through New Ulm, a name I recognize due to its microbrewery, Schells.  Perhaps its part of my mental transition from Kansas to Minnesota but I’m quickly becoming a fan of Grain Belt beer.  

By this time I’m heading directly north and am now on a 2-lane roadway.  Yet it’s no problem as the traffic overall is light (wonder if that’s due to today being Christmas Eve?) and I don’t have to deal with slow farm trucks given the growing and harvest season is well over.  Plus the roads are dry overall so there’s no vehicles in front kicking up droplets onto my windshield.  No bug splats either!  

Make my last stop in Hutchinson (that’s Minnesota, not Kansas!!) and fill my travel mug with more java.  No apologies—I need the caffeine kick for this final couple of hours.  From Hutchinson it’s battle-my-driving-fatigue with the anticipation that I’m now within striking distance of Little Falls.  The towns begin to blur.  Dassel, then Kimball.  Should be getting close to St. Cloud.  

Yep.  I’m finally in an urban area for the first time since the outskirts of Sioux City.  From here the next highway intersection is as easy as it gets: stay on Minnesota 15 through St. Cloud and Sauk Rapids and it merges with U.S. 10, resulting in a straight shot to Little Falls.  

It’s now past 4 p.m. and I take note of another indicator how I’m in a different region.  This far north, it sure gets dark quicker than Kansas (this time of year)!  I hope there’s still some daylight by the time I reach my destination.  

Not breaking any speed limits but still pressing on, I reach Little Falls just as twilight hits.  I turn onto the main east-west drag (1st. Ave./Broadway) and the town seems to take on an ethereal quality.  Probably a combination of my level of tired, Christmas Eve slowdown and skies turning from dark gray to black.  

Follow directions from Siri and within a few minutes I’m parked outside Geogal’s apartment.  Time for greetings accompanied with hugs from my gals.  

But before I can sit and relax we need to unload my cargo.  Geoana and I do the heavy lifting and despite tromping through packed-down snow we’ve got everything out of the trailer and Suburban in less than an hour.  Only then is it time to unwind and enjoy a quiet Christmas Eve with family.  Yes, I’m wanting to explore this new area but remind myself I have three full days here before I head back to Kansas.  Take your time, Geoguy.  


Stats for the day:  Total time on the road—exactly 12 hours.  Departed at 4:55 a.m. and arrived between 4:50 and 5 p.m.  Distance—608 miles.  

No comments: