Wednesday, October 03, 2018

I Wouldn't Mind Having A Drink With This Fellow

Continuing where we left off yesterday...

My week away from work draws to a close, but there's one more destination to be had.

As a family, and on my own a few times (work-related), we've been to Kansas City.  So while this visit doesn't entail any first-time experiences in regard to the metro area, the Geofamily has never been to the Harry Truman Presidential Library and Museum.  (For shame...)

Therefore Saturday afternoon found us at said site, following a lunch at Five Guys.  Family readers of this blog know I'm quite the history nerd and I truly have no excuses for being dilatory in visiting this site and the Eisenhower Center in Abilene.

While aware of Truman's background and knowledgeable of his presidency, including his decision to use the A-bomb on Japan and pulling off a surprise victory in the 1948 election, I sure learned much more about the man during this visit.

And I loved seeing his office, even if it was through a window.

Even though we wouldn't agree on everything, I left this place with the desire to sit down and have a glass of bourbon with Truman.  Don't know if I can say that about any other occupant of the Oval Office.  I came away with the impression he was a very likable man.  Honest, humble and not afraid to speak his mind.

Later, back at the hotel, I viewed portions of his funeral on YouTube.  I then remembered seeing at least some of it on live TV, at our house in Baltimore.  Mom had it on and at one point said to me:

"You see that American flag?"

"Yes."

"Harry S Truman is under it."

For a few moments I felt creeped out, taking her comment literally.  Thinking the flag was draped over a dead body.  Shortly I realized he was in a casket, under the flag.

The things I remember.




The next day Geogal and I visited the neighborhood where Truman's house is located.  While we couldn't enter the former president's house we were delighted to go across the street to the Noland Home (his cousin's house) and view the exhibits there.  

Then it was time to head home.  Not a bad way to spend a week.  

No comments: