Sunday, August 21, 2016

Summer Trip To Minnesota, Part Two

It’s Friday morning!  What will we do today?

I had a (rare) bright idea.  How about visiting the campus of the University of Minnesota?  After all we’re right here and I’d like to start a “Big Ten Conference” tally of schools, or at least communities where these institutions are located.  I already have the Big 12 pretty much done.  

U of M would make the Big Ten total three.  Last summer we stopped and paid a visit to the University of Iowa and way back in 2009 we took a spin by the University of Nebraska—Lincoln.  

Yes, I know the ‘Huskers were in the Big 12 conference at that time but I won’t quibble if you won’t.  

I also have no aspiration to get real serious about visiting Big Ten schools or communities.  Given the conference stretches from Lincoln, Nebraska all the way to the Atlantic Ocean I just don’t think it’s do-able given I still work for a living and can’t live the lifestyle of the full-time RV-er.  

Plus. if I was truly serious I would have taken advantage of two opportunities from our Chicago trip last year.  Could have traipsed up to Evanston for a Northwestern visit and likely swung through Champaign-Urbana to add the University of Illinois.  

However, today the gals are fully on board with a visit to the land of the Golden Gophers.  After a leisurely breakfast, including a made-to-order omelette courtesy of Embassy Suites, we make the short drive.  

Since it’s still summer break finding a place to park is no problem.  Feed the meter and we start walking.

 

(Like how I framed the Minneapolis skyscrapers nicely in the center of the shot?)

Beautiful campus.  Well-landscaped and nice architechture.  After a fashion we locate the information desk and get directions to the admissions office.  

No, no solid commitment yet.  Not even on the “under consideration” list at this time.  Nontheless we were impressed by the attitude and helpful nature of everyone we spoke to .  

Geogal and I felt the need for a reality check so we reminded the child of how cold it gets in Minnesota in winter.  But I then quipped: “If you want a suntan, go to Arizona State.”  

That’s in full humor.  ASU isn’t even on the long list.  Since Geogal and I lived in the Grand Canyon State for many years we had experience and dealings not only with the institution but also with many of its graduates.  And we’ve never been impressed.  

Back to the present.  With the campus visit in the books it’s time to head back to Bloomington.  First stop?  IKEA.  

We haven’t been in one since moving to Kansas 8 years ago.  But some things don’t change and we’re familiar with the Swedish retailer’s routine of walking you through every display area before you arrive at the warehouse and cash registers.  Throughout the walk I was afraid of Geogal saying “We need to schedule a trip back here, and bring the pickup truck.”  (Geoguy’s response:  “Eep.”)  
So I should not have worried.  We did pick up a few small items but that was it.   So what do we do now?

Go across the way to the monument to American capitalism.  


I’m not a big fan of indoor malls to begin with, and it seems the traditional mall, with anchors rounding out a row of retailers, seems to be dying out.  

Yet the MOA is a notable exception.  When you’re the largest indoor mall in the country you’ve got some clout.  

We’ve been here before so the novelty wasn’t significant to us.  Still, the gals had some stores to visit but before all that we chose to do lunch.  

Where?  Why not Tony Roma’s?  I’m always in the mood for ribs and I haven’t been to Roma’s in a very long time.  

They didn’t disappoint.  

Appetite satiated, we re-entered the mall proper and I soon said good-bye to the gals.  They had cosmetic stores to visit and I wanted to check out one of the attractions:  Fly Over America.  

Well worth the 18 bucks.  

But with that done I still had to wait for the ladies.  I chose to spend my time quaffing a mocha from Caribou Coffee, then headed in the direction of the Apple Store (natch).  

Some time later I met up with the gals and we all enjoyed sampling the latest offerings from Cupertino.  


All of that done, time to head back to the hotel.  Catch a late meal at Chick-Fil-A then return to the room to view the Olympics.  

Not a bad way to spend a day in "civilization."  

No comments: