Sunday, June 05, 2016

A Quick Interlude

I promise I will write about the third "bad" movie to follow my two prior posts.  However this weekend I decided to do something just a bit different.  

I live in Norton and one asset of this area is a state park barely three miles from town.  It's far enough away that you feel the experience of the outdoors but don't have to venture far from your domicile.  

In this post from early February I snapped a few pics of snowdrifts left behind by the first blizzard I've experienced since moving here eight years prior.  At that time I looked wistfully at the dump station and felt quite the longing to camp.

Fast forward a few months.  We're now in June and the camper is dewinterized and ready for a season.  Last Monday I got a flash of inspiration and took Geoana to the park and we walked the nature trail.  I'm ashamed to say in all the years we've resided here none of us ever walked this path before.  However I took advantage of the Memorial Day holiday and got the two of us out into the sunshine and fresh air.  




Just for fun I drove us by one of the campgrounds on our way out.  Not too many folks left (not a big surprise since it was the tail end of a holiday weekend) but the ones we saw appeared to have plenty of fun.  

Child and I returned home and talked to Geogal, who had to work that day.  Made a decision:  Let's take the camper out there the following weekend.  I got online and made the campsite reservations.  

Friday comes and I drive the rig out to the site and get her situated.  (I wanted to get it there before the little league baseball and softball games started that night as that would mean vehicles parked up and down our street giving me no room to manuever the truck and camper.)  

I learned several things this weekend.  I used to tease my friends and acquaintances who camped at the lake even though their home was barely a five-minute drive away.  Not anymore.  

Even when the park is busy it is still very peaceful.  This particular campground has the sites lined up front-to-rear rather than side-to-side as most parks do.  That means more room, whether you need it for boats, visitors, or most anything else within the rules of the park.  

I like the elbow room.

I snapped this picture then texted Geogal that I had our "lake house" up and going.  


The next day I am compelled to snap the requisite photo with antenna up and awning open.  


My timing wasn't the best.  Yesterday was the annual "OK Kids Day" in which the park staff and other outdoor organizations host the young folks and give them opportunities to fish, shoot a bow and arrow, trap shoot and other outdoor-related activities.  My child's done it in years past but since she's now 15 she stays home and allows the younger kids to have their fun.  

But even with the crowds the park still didn't feel overrun with humans.  I took this picture just a bit up the road from my campsite, gives you a good perspective.  My truck and camper are second from the right, just a little off the center of the shot.  


Why will I no longer poke fun at the locals who camp here?  It's peaceful, you can hear plenty of the sounds of nature, it's nice to be in a place that is not your house (mine sometimes has too many stressors) and you have all the features of camping that aren't allowed in town.  Open fires, plenty of space, starry night skies and water-related activities if you're into that kind of thing.  

We'll be coming out here more often, me thinks.  

No comments: