Sunday, April 17, 2016

Wrapping It Up

Many thanks to those of you following my adventures/exploits/experiences on the Mexico mission trip.  This is my second-to-last entry where I'll provide some snippets of the time between crossing back over the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo and arriving back home in Kansas.

Geoana and I reunited formally with Geogal at the Church of Christ in Del Rio.  We had foresight to pack our luggage at the very back of the van's trailer so transferring belongings took no time whatsoever.  Daughter and I said our goodbyes to the rest of the team and then our reunited Geofamily made a beeline to Chick-Fil-A for a very late lunch.

Our reunion gives me a small sense of relief.  As the child and I went to Texas with the church group Geogal was left to drive herself to south Texas.  For those of you who aren't acquainted with her, she has a poor since of direction.  Up to the day she left she dreaded taking a wrong turn somewhere and winding up like these guys:



Back to our story.  Well fed, I get behind the wheel of the Nitro.  Since I haven't driven in nearly a week I'm happy to take the helm.

Turn east on U.S. 90 and it's a drive through only-slightly familiar territory.  As I noted in a previous post I last was this way (in a vehicle) in 1979 when dad, two cousins and I took a trip to Big Bend National Park.

Along the way this particular afternoon I learn of how Geodad and Geogal tried to kill the time since the border crossing happened later than anticipated.  Dad thought Geogal would enjoy seeing a bit of West Texas history and the Judge Roy Bean Visitor Center in Langtry fits the bill.  Once the two of them got to the town of Comstock Dad realized he was off on his recollection.  He mentally had Comstock and Langtry reversed and since the latter would be a longer round-trip than first thought they reversed direction and headed back to Del Rio.

Desert brush starts giving way to taller and greener flora and soon San Antonio is within striking distance.  I told Dad (joking, of course) that I don't remember San Antonio and Castroville being so close together.  Of course I noted urban S.A. has made a very westward march and Castroville now seems more so to be a bedroom community rather than the small town of the past.

Highway turns to freeway and soon we're in Seguin.  More greetings and hugs.  Geomom and Geodad planned to take all of us to a restaurant for Texas cuisine (i.e. chicken-fried steak) but again, because the border crossing was so late in the afternoon by the time we arrived in Seguin it was nearly closing time for the eating establishment.  Maybe next time.

That very evening I take advantage of our lodging amenities and hit the shower.  I enjoy the water pressure, improved temperature control and not having to be on someone else's schedule.  Geoana does the same thing the following morning.

That day it's also time for a family get-together.  Geosister the older, her husband, and their three sons join us and we all enjoy a day of talking and eating.  I might have missed chicken-fried steak yesterday but the meals today include breakfast tacos (from another Seguin eatery, Su Casa), BBQ beef brisket for lunch and Whataburger for supper.

With great pleasure I enjoy every bit of today's Texas-based menu.

Saturday dawns and it's time for our nuclear family to get on the highway and head north.  I wanted to make a "stop" at Czech Stop in West.  During my last road trip here (in December 2012) I picked up several varieties of kolaches and took them home to liven up breakfast time.

Problem is, between then and now Czech Stop seems to have been "discovered" and in this age of the 'Net word spreads quickly.  The nondescript convenience store/bakery is now a larger travel plaza with quite the line of folks queued up to purchase kolaches and other baked goods.  Remember in my last post how I revealed my impatient nature?  It flared up again and I was ready to bail and get back on the road.  However the woman in line just behind us said these lines moved rather quickly and the staff was very efficient.

So purchase kolaches we did!  Yes, we enjoyed these breakfast treats upon returning home!


It turned out to be a long day on the road.  We chose to go far today as to have a short trip home the next.  The overnight stop ended up being Wichita.  Hotel was nice and we enjoyed a supper featuring Mediterranean offerings.

The next day is Sunday.  Our last day on the highway begins with a bit of a surprise from Old Man Winter.


I go out to the Nitro and add brushing off snow to my list of pre-trip chores.

Fortunately this storm was fast-moving and before we're even out of the city the clouds give way to sunlight.  All the way to Salina I'm treated to the perverse joy of seeing and hearing sheets of snow fall off the vehicle.

Finally, home sweet home.  Am I better for the experience?

Yes.

Am I changed?

Definitely.

No comments: