Friday, April 01, 2016

Marching Into Madness, Part Deux

When we last saw our hero (sorry, watching too much “Batman” TV series reruns on Me-TV), he inflated his air mattress and bedded down for the night.  

But with the promised bedding lurking in a suitcase far into the van’s trailer I (yes, switching back to first-person) elected to do what guys often do:  make the best of what I have.  

I picked one of the church’s classrooms to set up my mattress (hey, they said it was OK) but the room got a bit too chilly a bit too quick.  I already had on a t-shirt and sweatpants so I flung my jacket over my legs and used my sweatshirt for the upper blanket.  

No sound sleep I am sorry to report.  My makeshift linens didn’t quite measure up to the job.  

Around 5:15 a.m. I decide to stop fighting it and get up and prepare for another day.  No showers available so I wash my face and brush some water through my hair in order to appear at least somewhat presentable.  

Then I head to the kitchen to get some coffee going.  

I haven’t measured out regular canned coffee in many years so I make my best guess when scooping out the Maxwell House.  

My best guess resulted in coffee that was just a few drops short of pure tar.  Fortunately the other coffee drinkers in the bunch didn’t mind a whole lot.  One shared his philosophy that “strong coffee can always be watered down, weak coffee can’t be made stronger.”  

Breakfast wasn’t much, just muffins and breakfast bars one might find at a low-end hotel.  That was no issue however as I suggested since we would be going through Sweetwater we might as well stop at McDonald’s.  No problem getting others to jump on that bandwagon.  

However once we got to Mickey D’s (after just over 30 minutes on the road) my stomach was jumping around to the extent I skipped ordering anything and just sipped regular ol’ water.   Don’t recall whether it was sweet.  

Other people’s stomach’s filled, we again return to the highway and head south to San Angelo.  It’s been well over a quarter century since I’ve been to this part of the Lone Star State and it’s just as desolate as I remember.  Still, I’m looking forward to the morning destination as I’ve never been to San Angelo itself.  

Our first lengthy stop is at Southgate Church of Christ.  Since it’s Sunday morning and we’re a church group this makes since, even if we’re a different denomination.  

Our teens are welcomed into the youth Sunday School class.  The service is quite good and I have no issue with a capella singing.  Fortunately there’s enough people around me to drown me out.  Sermon also is a plus.  

Time for lunch.  Out youth pastor hoped for Chick-Fil-A but they don’t do business on Sunday.  

No problem.  There’s always Chicken Express.  

Once we’ve loaded up on fried chicken and unhealthy side dishes we’re ready to roll again.  It’s a short jaunt through Eldorado into Sonora, a town with which I’m familiar due to my several Interstate 10 trips between Arizona and South Texas.  Top off the tank and we head south on U.S. 277.  

Through a whole lot of nothing.  But at least it’s a somewhat attractive nothing.  Rolling hills with short green trees for the better part of 90 miles.  

Then we’re at our destination for today:  Del Rio.  

But no time to rest and relax.  One of the leaders divides us up into teams of two.  A guy named Cale and I are paired with the assignment to pick up tortillas (both corn and flour), oranges, apples, bananas, grapes.  

During this task I find Geoana and her shopping partner, they too have picked up their list items and my kiddo and I set out to find blankets and a few other essentials.  

Did I mention all of us only had 30 minutes to shop?  We meet everyone else at the register and pity the poor cashier who rings up our team’s several carts’ worth of food and bottled water, sufficient to feed a small army for three days in Old Mexico.  


Then it’s our last stop of the day.  The day that is gradually turning into night.  

Another Church of Christ.  This evening it’s Central Church of Christ.  

And we’re surprised.  The youth pastor and his wife have not only enough food for their gang, they generously provided more than enough for our crew!  Pizza, baked chicken, tamales and, to my delight, abundant green salad.  I might not have had my appetite at breakfast but I make up for it at this meal.  

Same as last night, I choose a quiet room and again inflate the Coleman air mattress.  This time I’m fortunate to have a light blanket.  


Would our hero sleep well this night?  Tune in tomorrow, same bat-time, same bat-channel!!  

No comments: