Monday, June 03, 2013

Fresh Eyes

Geoana and I have only one more Star Trek movie (featuring the TOS case) to watch:  "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country." 

Which means, of course, that we already have viewed the first five cinematic adventures of the Enterprise crew.  I decided early on that I would not give my opinions of the flick before we watched it, in order to let the almost-teenage girl formulate her own opinions. 

She wound up with some interesting ones.  So far her favorite one of the bunch is "Star Trek III: The Search For Spock."  Maybe it's just that any flick featuring Klingons as the enemy is bound to be good.  She also gave approval to "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier."  (Regarded by many Trekkies as the movie equivalent of "Spock's Brain" in as far as the badness factor goes.)  However the child thinks there is plenty that is redeemable about the movie.  And I have to admit, watching these movies again after all these years gives me a different perspective as well.  The first movie isn't too bad as far as the story (though it sure could use some more action) but it's just so godawful LONG.  The second flick is my personal favorite.  Three?  It's OK although I still can't fully accept Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon.  The fourth installment is just pure fun.  And the Shatner-directed fifth movie might have a few rough spots but it's far from being unwatchable. 

And speaking of unwatchable pieces of celluloid, I did catch the Mystery Science Theater 3000 take on "Manos, The Hands of Fate."  Yes, almost as bad as "Troll 2."  Wonder what other pieces of trash I can get through Netflix? 

But lest you think I do nothing but watch terrifically terrible movies or Star Trek offerings exclusively, some weeks ago the child and I watched "The Sound of Music."  And lo and behold, just a couple of weeks later her music teacher has the whole sixth grade viewing this musical.  Good taste abounds!

Score one for the Geoguy!


No comments: