Thursday, July 12, 2012

Alone

Since Sunday afternoon the gals have been at church camp.  I, however, have been here holding down the fort.  You might think I'd be either bored out of my skull or pining away for my loved ones. 

Nope. 

They'll be back tomorrow and I will be glad to see them.  But between work and having a quite large "honey do" list this week has flown by.  It wasn't uncommon for me to glance at the clock and murmur to myself, "9:30 already?"

The journey to Arkansas and back was uneventful.  Great road trip, and we didn't kill each other or vow to disband and join other families at the end.  Nothing was lost, save for a pair of $2.50 sunglasses Geoana left in the Wal-Mart restroom (at least the third time she's done that, always at a Wally World for some reason).  Not even as much as a flat tire to impede our voyage. 


And the Cosmosphere was worth the stopover.  We only went through the Hall of Space museum and after three hours the gals were ready to head out.  Not me.  I could have spent about two more hours there, easy. 

And I spent quite a few minutes just looking at one item.  Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7 capsule, which spent 38 years at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.  Some years back I enjoyed watching the Discovery Channel documentary on how the explorer team found it and brought it back up.  I wish they had it on DVD.

(Free free to click on the pic to enjoy the full size)


Oh, and seeing the actual command module from the Apollo 13 mission wasn't bad, either. 

We got home on Thursday and on Friday Geoana and I watched "The Right Stuff."  On Saturday we enjoyed "Apollo 13." 

I think she's much more up to speed on the history of the U.S. space program than her classmates. 

No comments: